Monday, March 23, 2015

Carrots & Classics


This post, like my last one, (in November...oops) must start with a song. I shazammed this gem from Veronica Mars. And don't worry, I linked the Listen on Repeat version to spare you the trouble of clicking "replay" over...and over...and over.

I got home today and was tired beyond belief and craving something good. I didn't even know what I wanted. I just knew it had to be good. I've been making Oh She Glow's carrot cake smoothie a lot lately. Breakfast, dinner, mid-afternoon snack, this smoothie has seen it all. And it is deeeee-lishhhh-ousssssss.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually open these books today...but Carrots & Classics was just way too cute of a post title to pass up

As soon as I remembered the carrot cake smoothie, I knew it was The One. The perfect pick-me-up after a (very) long day at school. I whipped it up in record time and took 50328 pictures of it before I let myself take a sip. It was torturous. 

I was probably drooling at this point. really. 


This smoothie is gorgeous. Not only is it ORANGE (!!!) but it is smooth, sweet, and cinnamon-y. Not to mention raw, vegan, and crazy healthy. Your mom was right about that vitamin C!! It tastes exactly like carrot cake batter, but better. No weird baking soda-y aftertaste. No one hounding you about salmonella from raw eggs (but let's be honest, I've never listened to that anyway...cookie dough is my friend). I sound like a desperate advertiser right now, but only because you need to try this smoothie. It's good

please admire a) my chipped nails b) my workout shirt c) my porch in the background

I've adapted my recipe from the Oh She Glows one to make it a little simpler. 

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2-3 carrots, peeled and chunked (cut into 1 inch "chunks")
1/2 banana, preferably frozen
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinammon
5ish ice cubes

Pour the almond milk into the blender, and drop in the carrots. Blend until it's as smooth as possible. Then add in the banana, vanilla, and cinnamon. The vanilla and cinnamon are really a matter of taste. Once I accidentally put in so much cinnamon that the entire smoothie turned brown but I was EXTREMEMLY desperate for breakfast and drank it anyway. My throat burned for hours. Moral of the story: be gentle with your cinnamon shaker. Add in the ice cubes, and blend again. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment