Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Extreme Self Control (making homemade Larabars)


Today, I bring you not only your new favorite recipe, but also a test in self-control.


I seem to really like putting food in strange places, then taking pictures of it???


I failed it.



I made a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough Larabars, (each batch makes around 2.5 full sized bars). Unfortunately I was unable to get a picture of them before someone DEMOLISHED them... (me) Sooooo I did the only logical thing and made another batch. This time they were key lime pie.


looks like granola but it's not...


Luckily I was able to get these pictures before they too were GONE. I don't know what it is about Larabars, especially homemade ones...but they're just so, so, so, so, so, SO good. They're easy to make, raw & vegan, (unless you stuff them with chocolate chips...) sweetened with dates and limited to three or four ingredients, and overall perfect. That's all.

aw baby larabar


Not to mention you can do all sorts of cool things with these crazy good snacks. Example A, roll the dough into mini energy bites. Or cut it into the traditional bars, as thin or thick as you want. Sculpt a small scale Mt. Rushmore. Seriously, as long as it ends up in your mouth, who cares?



So, moral of the story, make these when have one of those I-rule-the-world-I-am-Beyonce-my-life-is-so-in-order-I-love-myself-I-am-so-in-charge-and-in-control days. Hopefully you won't end up like me, finishing off half a container of dates and bloated for days. (WORTH IT)

Homemade Larabars - my two favorite flavors

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:

1/3 cup pitted soft dates (I get mine at Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup raw, unsalted nuts - I've found I like to use a mix of almonds and walnuts
1/2 tsp vanilla
tiny bit of salt
1 tbs (or more!) chocolate chips

put the dates and nuts into a food processor and pulse until the nuts are mostly ground up and the dates don't really look like dates. This is a horrible attempt at describing this...but basicially, it will look like a loose Larabar. At that point, add in the vanilla, salt, and chocolate chips. Pulse a few more times, then roll into balls or bars. For an easy way to make the bars, put the dough between two pieces of wax paper and roll it out as thick or thin as you want. Cut into squares/rectangles. I store mine in the fridge or freezer.

Key Lime Pie: (guys...these are incredible)

1/2 cup pitted soft dates
1/2 cup raw, unsalted nuts
1/3 coconut
zest of 1 lime
1/2 TBS - 1 TBS fresh lime juice (depends on how lime-y you want it)
tiny bit of salt

Follow the same instructions as above!

Enjoy! (& good luck with that whole self control thing...)



No comments:

Post a Comment